Tuesday, September 19, 2006

The Paperchase

Well, we've officially joined the 'paperchase' in the adoption realm. On September 11th (2006) we filed our I-600A form with the Dept. of Homeland Security (INS); this form requests permission for us to bring an orphan into the country. So, now we wait for an appointment to go to Charlotte to get our electronic fancy fingerprints taken and so forth. Then we wait for the I-171H which actually grants us permission to bring the child in. From what I've been hearing, with immigration laws, etc. in an uproar, it's taking a few months just to receive that form that we need.

Meanwhile, we're working on our dossier.... the homestudy's almost done!! Baby steps......

1 comment:

nina said...

Hi, My name is Anita Lee and I saw you were wondering about the fingerprinting and the Charlotte sub office. I don't want to discourage you but the fingerprinting was the worst part of the paper chase for us. We live near Asheville, NC and sent our paperwork for the I600A in March. After having it returned twice, we were given a date of April 23, 2006. Finally, around mid June an appointmant came and it wasn't until the first week in August. We decided to go to the office and see if we could get them done early. They let us get the prints out of the way because of our schedules at work but we didn't receive our I171 H until mid to late August. We finally got our dossier in a week ago and now our agency is telling us the wait is going to probably exceed the period the fingerprints and 171h are good for. After not hearing anything from the CIS for an entire 2 months after they had our prints I finally contacted Sen. Elizabeth Dole's office. 2 days later we had our I171H. It could be because it had been so long or because her office called to see what was going on. Anyway, just be prepared to be patient. If I can answer any questions, please email me. Lee784@hotmail.com Anita Lee